A few thoughts on who I am.
Life: To get closer to my ikigai (生き甲斐, 'my reason for being') every day.
Within life, work: "Working with a great team, making something that people will use — something that we feel will have an impact greater than our job or revenue." - Matt Mullenweg
Kaizen (改善) - continuous improvement
Akesis - healthy hardship
Curiosity - follow the rabbit hole
Kindness - treat others well
For as long as I can remember, I've always been driven by curious.
After school each day, I’d take apart old computers, build contraptions and I even tried my hand at radio broadcasting. I'd tinker with legos, Arduinos, soldering irons, wireless receivers, LEDs and all the rest.
When I discovered the internet, it felt like I'd uncovered a whole new set of legos.
Every week saw me researching and testing a new online platform or app. I would build websites for the fun of it. Systems for the challenge of it.
I built, launched, and learnt a lot of things - mainly outside the classroom.
I began expanding my network, my skill set, and my mindset. Cold emails for coffee, days off school for conferences, podcasts and video content to expand my surface area.
At the end of Year 11 I received an early offer into university to study business, leaving school early. A few weeks into study, I deferred, instead deciding to create my own personalised curriculum.
For some time, I felt like I had too many interests. Different disciplines pulling me in different directions. Interested in APIs, but also marketing strategy, but also operations, and public speaking and media, and writing?
The phrase, "Jack of all trades, master of none", would play in my head.
But with good mentors and the space for introspection, I began to see that the combination of interests amplified each other. 1+1=3.
The common thread was this: I love great digital products - discovering and using them, and also understanding how to validate them, build them, grow them and scale the businesses around them.
Why? The apps and tools I use every day empower me to do my best work, and my mission is to enable others' best work through great products.
When I'm not working on product, I'm an advisor for youth focussed not-for-profits and the occasional writer here on this site. Early mornings and weekends, you can find me at the beach, doing something sweaty or spending time with family and friends.
One day, I want to start my own thing.
But I've got a hell of a lot more to learn, first.
A list of the other various weekend sprints, month long projects or ongoing businesses I've started.
- The Tech Thread Co (2016); My first business, a nerd/tech-themed clothing brand, with little product sold...but a whole lot learnt.
- Millennial Studios (2017-2019); A platform for some of my earlier online content projects (podcasts, blogs) and more ambitiously, a media incubator empowering other young people to create impactful content.
- Student Tutors United (2018-2019); Co-founded a peer-to-peer tutoring agency with a friend, becoming Australia's first agency specifically for high-school age tutors, with vetted, trained and empowered young tutors around Perth.
- Australian Bushfire Donation Info Hub (2019-2020); A website that was a quick response to a devastating fire season here in Australia, a central place for up-to-date info on where you could donate and who needed help during the recent bushfire season.
- Perth for Perth (2020); A website that was a quick response to the COVID-19 pandemic, an initiative to support local businesses in Perth, Australia who were reduced to only being able to serve takeaway/delivery.
- My Funnel (2021); During my time at Ammo Marketing, I lead the development of a free tool that generates a marketing funnel specifically for your startup. We launched it out to the community into the top 5 of the day on Product Hunt. Since then it's been used over 100's of times by founders.
✈️ I've been to 4 countries (including Tasmania)
📚 I've attended 4 different schools
💻 I've bought 9 website domains
🎙I've started 2 podcasts
📲 I've owned 10 Apple devices (read: fanboy)
Folks I'm Grateful For
A running list of all the organisations, companies, projects, initiatives, events etc. I have worked for, collaborated with, participated in, been a member of, interned at or contributed to. Ultimately, those who I feel I will forever be in debt to (in no order).
- Centre for Social Impact
- Fairbridge Festival
- Youth Leadership Academy
- The LEAP Foundation
- IDEA Academy
- altMBA / Akimbo Workshops
- Learning Creates Australia
- Draw History
- Ammo Marketing
- Up Bank
- Department of Education WA
- YMCA WA
- Future Amp
- Future Anything
- Skills of the Modern Age
- KCR FM
- Hit 929
- ABC Radio Perth
- Sticky Pronk
- Man Up WA
- Santa Maria College
- Willetton SHS
- SEDA College
- John Curtin College of the Arts
- Walliston Primary School
- Mazenod College
- Curtin University
- UWA Public Policy Institute
- Notre Dame Student Association