A few headings and words that paint a good picture of who I am.
Separating the signal from the noise.
Creating value. Results.
Tech. Process. Building things.
Learning. Mastery of self.
From a young age, I’ve been curious.
After school each day, I’d take apart old computers, build contraptions and I even tried my hand at radio broadcasting.
When I discovered the internet, a whole new world of curiosity opened.
From the computer labs in primary school, to the laptop out and about, every week saw me researching and testing a new online platform or app. I would build websites for the fun of it. Systems for the challenge of it.
I ran with different curiosities in my own projects along the way (see Side Projects, below). They were opportunities for learning, networking and building understanding through doing.
I began building skill sets, and mindsets.
For some time, I struggled with different disciplines pulling me in different directions. Interested in APIs, but also marketing strategy, but also UX, and public speaking, and writing?
But I can see that a combination of things can amplify each other. 1+1=3.
The common thread was this: Solving problems with digital solutions.
As I take these skills into the market, I've been able to continue to hone in on what I love doing most.
At the end of Year 11 I received an early offer into university to study business, leaving school early. A few months into study, I deferred, instead deciding to create my own business education.
Today, I work in a mix of startups and agencies:
- analysing problems that exist (for clients, customers, or the business)
- conceiving solutions using a digital-first, empathy-driven approach
- communicating the value of those solutions to stakeholders
One day, I want to start my own thing.
✈️ I've been to 3 countries
📚 I've attended 3 different schools
📎 I've worked in 4 organisations
💻 I've bought 8 website domains
🎙I've started 2 podcasts
📲 I've own 5 Apple devices (fanboy)
A list of the other various weekend sprints, month long projects or ongoing businesses I've started.
- The Tech Thread Co (2016); My first business, a nerd/tech-themed clothing brand, with little product sold...but a whole lot learnt.
- Millennial Studios (2017-2019); A platform for some of my earlier online content projects (podcasts, blogs) and more ambitiously, a media incubator empowering other young people to create impactful content.
- Student Tutors United (2018-2019); Co-founded a peer-to-peer tutoring agency with a friend, becoming Australia's first agency specifically for high-school age tutors, with vetted, trained and empowered young tutors around Perth.
- Australian Bushfire Donation Info Hub (2019-2020); A website that was a quick response to a devastating fire season here in Australia, a central place for up-to-date info on where you could donate and who needed help during the recent bushfire season.
- Perth for Perth (2020); A website that was a quick response to the COVID-19 pandemic, an initiative to support local businesses in Perth, Australia who were reduced to only being able to serve takeaway/delivery.
A running list of all the organisations, companies, projects, initiatives, events etc. I have worked for, collaborated with, participated in, been a member of, interned at or contributed to.
- Centre for Social Impact
- Fairbridge Festival
- Youth Leadership Academy
- AUS School of Entrepreneurship
- The LEAP Foundation
- altMBA / Akimbo Workshops
- Learning Creates Australia
- Draw History
- Ammo Marketing
- Up Bank
- Department of Education WA
- YMCA WA
- Future Amp
- Future Anything
- Skills of the Modern Age
- KCR FM
- Hit 929
- ABC Radio Perth
- Sticky Pronk
- Man Up WA
- Santa Maria College
- Willetton SHS
- SEDA College
- John Curtin College of the Arts
- Mazenod College
- Curtin University
- UWA Public Policy Institute
- Notre Dame Student Association