I'm a young guy based here in sunny Perth, Western Australia.
My "9 to 5" is as a high-school student, but I divide my time between the classroom and my many curiosities. I've always been curious.
Over the past few years, I've been on a journey that has taken me through business, media, public speaking and freelance. I've found opportunities to try my hand at lots of different skill sets and found a lot of things I'm no good at (sports being at the top of that list) but some areas I really enjoy as well.
I discovered a pattern.
I realised pretty quickly that what I was really drawn to could be accessed behind a computer screen. Every week saw me researching and testing a new online platform or app. I would build websites for the fun of it. Marketing funnels for the hell of it. Social media campaigns for the joy of it. Systems for the challenge of it.
I channelled those passions into my previous small businesses along the way, opportunities for learning through sometimes failing, networking through connecting and understanding through doing.
I discovered pretty quickly that the challenge of digital systems and strategy was a challenge I love taking on. I love understanding the unique stories and perspectives of an unfamiliar business or organisation.
I love thinking digitally. Solving problems with digital solutions. I've grown up online, and this is how I think. This is my passion.
This digital work - freelance consulting - is conducted under the name, Curiosity Digital, which is a continual reminder of how this passion started, and how I work through projects - with curiosity.
If I'm not at school or working on a project, you'll find me with either my dog Shanti, tinkering with something technical or spending time with my mates.
What I've started 🏁
A list of the other various weekend sprints, month long projects or ongoing businesses I've started.
- The Tech Thread Co (2016); My first business, a nerd/tech-themed clothing brand, with little product sold...but a whole lot learnt.
- Millennial Studios (2017-2019); A platform for some of my earlier online content projects (podcasts, blogs) and more ambitiously, a media incubator empowering other young people to create impactful content.
- Student Tutors United (2018-2019); Co-founded a peer-to-peer tutoring agency with a friend, becoming Australia's first agency specifically for high-school age tutors, with vetted, trained and empowered young tutors around Perth.
- Australian Bushfire Donation Info Hub (2019-2020); A website that was a quick response to a devastating fire season here in Australia, a central place for up-to-date info on where you could donate and who needed help during the recent bushfire season.
- Perth for Perth (2020); A website that was a quick response to the COVID-19 pandemic, an initiative to support local businesses in Perth, Australia who were reduced to only being able to serve takeaway/delivery.
My Values 🤔
I choose to live & operate off 2 different ideas that I've formed over time that act as a bit of a guide. I like to mention these because they deeply inform my work.
1. Live Curiously
Firstly, I think it's important to let yourself follow those little sparks of interest we all have.
My many passions and interests have formed through following curiosities and I think it's a wonderful way to not only learn and discover more about your world but also more about yourself.
2. Aim for kindness
Secondly, a choice to think, act & speak kindly, no matter the audience, no matter the topic, no matter the environment.
I'm not perfect, I sometimes don't get it right - and that's being human - but I think aiming to be a good human and choosing kindness no matter what you receive is a good way to live.
In the media 🎬
Perth Entrepreneurs Podcast - PEP Talk (November 2020)
Featured in a podcast by Neil Gibb, where he speaks with Perth Entrepreneurs to find out the successes, failures, challenges and lessons on the road to success. LISTEN
Bending the Future Podcast (August 2020)
Featured in a new podcast by youth startup, Future Anything, it's for all of the young innovators, inventors and change-makers dreaming up a different future; one idea at a time. LISTEN
Ed! Magazine Liftout (June 2020)
Featured in The West Australian's Ed! Magazine, a liftout for young people, in a segment that highlights young people to watch here in WA.
The Happydemic Podcast (April 2020)
Interviewed about my Perth for Perth project on a podcast showcasing how young people are not just surviving but thriving in a Coronavirus world. LISTEN
The Record Magazine (December 2019)
Featured in the monthly magazine distributed to the WA schools, hospitals, universities in the Archdiocese of Perth. READ
The West Australian (January 2019)
Featured in the "WA Rising Stars" feature, highlighting 50 of the State's most talented young people over the course of a month. READ
TEDxPERTH (November 2018)
I was fortunate enough to be able to deliver a TEDx talk. WATCH
Perth Now/Community News group (June 2017)
Profiled after the launch of my first enterprise, The Tech Thread Co. READ
or if you want the full picture, here's my portfolio.